Tuesday, June 26, 2007

We're getting the band back together




It looks like the greatest band of all-time maybe reforming for a show (or more?) soon. Led Zeppelin will be getting back together for a memorial show and, if all goes well, possibly a tour. Zep bassist John Paul Jones made a bunch of appearances at this year's Bonnaroo festival (which I did not get to go to this year), and it seemed like that would be the closest we could get to hearing live Zeppelin. But this reunion just may give us some hope. Though tickets will be like a million dollars each, so know way I'm gonna get to go. It's hard to say if I would really want to, though. I mean, Robert Plant's voice is not quite what it once was; in fact, in the last twenty years it has been pretty weak. Though I'm sure Jimmy Page hasn't lost any of his guitar skills, I don't think he or his bandmates probably have have the same stage-presence that they once had. I would like to her it when it happens, but I don't think that it's necessary for me to be there.

So, is Zeppelin the greatest band of all time? I've really gotten attached to the Beatles in recent years, which has given me doubt of Zeppelin's standing, but I can't seem to let them got from the number one position. I got into Zep during my teen years, so they hold a special place in my heart for sure. I think its that they are just so impressive all the way through. With most bands you can see an evolution and reshaping within their careers, but with Zeppelin, every song and ever album just seems so solid. Sure, there are few surprises, but there are also no let downs (well, maybe some, but they take place at the end of their career, and they are not so bad).

i guess when compared with the Beatles, I would say that the Beatles are more like a flower. There is a natural growing and maturing and a beauty, but also natural flaws that don't necessarily take away from the whole, but are flaws nonetheless. Zeppelin, though, is more like a machine that's built to last and to perfectly administer its task. Unlike all other machines, though, this one is not soulless, but instead know what its doing and enjoys it. For these reasons and more LZ is at the top of my list of bands.

No comments: